One of the world’s TOP 3 Medical Device companies.
Develop and execute strategic plans, programs and stories that deliver high impact results focused across 5 key areas: Storytelling, Media Relationships, Proactively Managing Issues, Engaging Employees, and Driving / Supporting the Business. Effectively work with and support other Japan and APAC regional team members, and Business and HQ PA, to achieve desired outcomes.
As Senior Manager, Public Affairs, Japan, the candidate will
- Lead public affairs work to support the company’s cardiovascular, Neuromodulation and Heart Failure businesses
- Drive our corporate storytelling themes and initiatives which includes business & innovation storytelling, Tokyo Marathon, workforce employment) in Japan
- Serve as a second-in-charge to the Director of Public Affairs, with authority over the communications issued externally on behalf of the company in Japan, in conjunction with the Director of Public Affairs
The candidate must be able to think strategically and provide thoughtful counsel to a broad range of internal and external contacts across all levels of management.
Role will work in close partnership with General Managers and Business Unit Heads to create and execute the annual PA/PR strategic plan.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Storytelling: Deliver impactful external visibility forthe company through storytelling. Results should center on Corporate / Enterprise stories, trend stories, business stories, brand stories and reputation building stories. Support the company by thoughtfully leveraging the unique offerings of the company’s portfolio through strategic product communications.
· Media Relationships: Cultivate, maintain and develop sound relationships with editors, media and other key external influencers to help build, enhance and protect the company's reputation and drive our business forward. Leverage editor and journalist relationships to proactively build awareness about the company and its offerings through Japanese media (and Japan correspondents in the US, other parts of Asia and Europe). Act as a company spokesperson for the company in Japan for Corporate and division responses, formulating appropriate messaging to support Abbott’s image, brands and business.
· Proactively Managing Issues: Effectively manage the company's public issues, either neutralizing/keeping the company out of coverage, or ensuring the company message is delivered in coverage when desired. Anticipate and identify potential issues and develop action plans to address them. Manage day-to-day crises and issues relating to the company and its businesses/brands across Japan. Ensure key contacts and key spokespeople in Japan understand when to engage Public Affairs as it relates to an issue.
· Engaging Employees: Lead the ongoing enterprise-wide, employee communications. Provide support to raise the internal communications capability of leaders in Japan.
· Driving / Supporting the Business: Deliver communications across Japan that will build the company’s competitive advantage, position and market share. Convey stories about the company’s innovation in Japan.
· Support all company brand efforts with external PR and thought leadership – particularly around the Tokyo Marathon. Incorporate the company brand in all communications, internally and externally. Support the thought leadership strategy as initiatives with supporting information and execution – particularly through executive visibility in Japan.
· Agency management including budget and account management. Ensure PR agencies are optimally managed – from having contracts in place to ensure ROI and value for money.
The Senior Manager, Public Affairs, Japan reports to the Director, Public Affairs, Japan. This role works in a matrixed way with others in Regional, Business and HQ PA.
· Minimum education is a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· Minimum 10 years’ corporate communications/public relations experience. Multinational experience with a Healthcare, Pharma, and food/FMCG company preferred.
· Understanding of Japan market dynamics and U.S. business practices necessary.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills required.
· Fluency in English.
· Proven record in managing media & editor relations; stakeholder relations; business, brand and corporate communications; and issues/crisis management in a collaboration-oriented environment.
· Proven success in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
Public Affairs Competencies
· Communication Skills
· Dealing with Ambiguity
· Sense of urgency / speed of action
· Collaborative, results orientation